Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Here's to a strong 2011 ~


1/11/11 ...  January is upon us once again.  This past year has come and gone just as fast as the one before and just as fast as this next one will.  Our family has made some significant changes, some milestones, some steps forward and some steps backwards.  In lieu of my annual December letter (or book as some would describe) I will sum up our year here ...

As most of you know, we relocated to the Mayan Riviera the beginning of November for a 6 month period.  Prior to this, we introduced our kids to Spanish by meeting with Jay's cousin once every week.  We prepped our managers (and their wives!) to run the business while we are away.  We enrolled Hunter in city soccer so he would be ready for this country's national sport!  We met with the school here to ensure the kids were placed in the appropriate grades and activities.  We alloted "x" amount of dollars to live here from November to the end of April.  And, we tried to mentally prepare ourselves as much as we could for what was to come.

In March and August of 2010 Jay and I both met the 40 year milestone and celebrated accordingly!  I can't speak for Jay but turning the big four-oh wasn't so bad ... in fact, I am enjoying it and what it has to offer!  Yes, I have more "smile lines", more jiggles and more and more sayings from my mother but it is what it is.  Other than caring for my skin and body and making a conscious effort of what I do and say there isn't a lot I do about getting older other than taking it all in.  When I was 20 I thought 40 was sooooo old ... my mom was 38 and dad 40 when I was 20 for goodness sake!  But now that I am here I don't consider us old at all!  Times have changes - similar to a lot of our friends, we got married and had kids later in life compared to previous generations. 

Over the past year, we did alot with our kids.  We participated in all of their activities (Hunter played hockey, soccer and ball last year and Emersyn continued with dance, gymnastics and soccer in the spring) and this tended to mold our social lives.  We travelled with our kids (without as well!!) and we tended to hang out with friends with kids similar in age to ours.  However, to maintain adult and couple time we utilized a variety of friends and family which enabled us to travel to Jamaica for a work related week, to Maroma Beach for Jay's birthday celebration and to New York for an incredible Oprah Live Your Best Life weekend. 

Emersyn entered Kindergarten and was very ready for it.  She enjoyed the bus every morning at the beach however hasn't quite gotten the same love for getting to Kinder 2 here in Playa.  She cries every morning when we get there but thank goodness when we pick her up at the end of the day she is happy and her homework book has nothing but positive reports.  Its so hard leaving her crying (and sometimes screaming) but we have to keep consistent and strong.  I hope as the days and weeks go on the crying will lessen and eventually cease.

Hunter is in grade 2 at both schools.  He is adjusting well and is learning some heavy duty addition and multiplication, hand writing and what prepositions and adjectives are here!  He continues to be our worry wart however this has greatly improved since late summer (thanks to a fabulous psycholigist Dr. Kristi Wright).  Both kids had their tonsils out the beginning of June and their health (and snoring!) has improved 10 fold!

Jay joined the Wascana Golf and Country Club and continues to golf here once or twice a week.  Extreme Hockey continues to grow and meet the needs of the hockey players in and around Regina.  Jay's love lies within sales and marketing, especially in the corporate world.  He has grown this by becoming more involved with a fantastic company Exotic Travel here in Playa.  Not only can it provide financially for us Jay has learned an invaluable amount from some of the best sales people he has been in contact with.  Jay's health is so much better while in the heat and humidity.

I remain a stay at home mom however have started to dabble in writing articles for Regina's Fine Lifestyles magazine.  I started by writing a four page advertorial for our store and was subsequently asked to write for others.  I love it - doesn't take up much time, I collect a little spending money and I can do it from home ~ both here and in Saskatchewan.  I volunteered for Hunter's hockey team, the beach preschool and coached ball during the last year.  I also assisted a local personal trainer set up a kick a#s bootcamp at the beach .... I got into some type of shape, I was faithfully going three times a week, I started running and then I fell off the bandwagon on August 11!!  I remember vividly the last time I worked out and it happens to be 5 months ago today.  TERRIBLE!  I am slowly setting myself up for a reunion - I have commited to attend the classes next week while we are home, I have found a great little yoga studio here that just happens to have a class that works with my schedule and my new running shoes have arrived from New Balance.  I have NO reason NOT to start up my love affair with fitness again.

Our families remain active in our lives.  For the most part they are all happy and healthy and both sets of parents have flights booked to experience our lives here.....and to share in part of our strong 2011. 

No comments:

Post a Comment