Monday, January 10, 2011

what I/we take for granted ...

With the busy Christmas season, having friends here for ten days and the kids being off school for three weeks, I've neglected something that I love to do ... my daily blog.  And then when I finally return to my morning routine of dropping the kids off, taking the dog out and sitting down with a coffee I was without a "blogging" idea!  I happened to be texting back and forth with my GF Heather so I asked her to quickly give me a suggestion ... and here it is!

We are heading home on Wednesday for a ten day visit full of friends, family, hockey and "old" routine.  Emy is having a sleep over at Nan's the night we arrive, Hunter is off on the bus to our Regina Beach school Thursday morning, Jay is having a staff lunch meeting Thursday to discuss inventory, I am meeting four of my BFF's to get indulge in drinks, appetizers and a fun girlfriend photo shoot Thursday evening and Friday we leave for a three day hockey tournament in Saskatoon.

At this time last year these would have been "normal" day to day planned activities in our lives.  Nothing out of the ordinary ~ other than five girlfriends getting all beautiful and posing for a photographer of course!!  Sports, school friends, sleepovers, family and close friends ... these are all things I now realize I/we take for granted.

Yes the kids are involved in soccer, dance and gymnastics here in Playa del Carmen but going on a three day tournament at this point just wouldn't be the same.  We have established a weekly school routine and we have some friends here but again, its just not the same as back home.  After being here 6 1/2 years (time we've been in Regina Beach) and getting to know the language and community better who knows, we may be at the same point we are there.  But, as I prepare for and think about our visit, I know there are many things we have become very comfortable with and will cherish that much more after having them for this short period.

Friendship is the biggest.  All four of us are excited to see our close friends!  Hunter can't wait until he sees Parker on the bus, Nile tackling him with a hug Thursday morning at school and all his classmates and team members!  Emy is so excited to see her Nan (and all the other family members but she knows she is seeing her first!) and especially her best friend Rhett and his little brother Kade. 

People back home have experienced a tremendous amount of snow and cold temperatures.  I can live without the -35 degrees any day but we really are excited to get on our skidoos and tobaggans and enjoy the weiner roasts and cook shacks!  The kids want to take lots of pictures to show the people here what snow looks like in Canada!  The majority of people here have never seen snow ... again, something we take for granted (but would be complaining about if we had to deal with it for 5 months I know!).

Familiarily is something I take for granted living in a small Saskatchewan community.  I know the town administrater Lynette.  I know the postmaster Judy.  I know the convenience store owner Gloria.  I know the septic truck driver Don.  I know the restaurant/bar owners Sam and Denny.   I know all the neighbours on our street.  I can chat with the water delivery guy and Purolater driver.  I know the school secretary and principal on a first name basis.  My Leaderpost newspaper is on my front door step every morning and I enjoy reading it from front to back.  I can pop into anyone's house for coffee wearing my pajamas any morning without question.  I can call a babysitter for our kids and they love staying with any of them.  These are all people and situations we are very comfortable and familiar with.

And family ... we will see my parents, brother and his three kids, Jay's parents and one brother and sister in law all in Saskatoon next weekend!  Jay and I have not had a lot of alone time here with the lack of family and babysitters.  Understandably the kids aren't overly comfortable staying with babysitters here ... and we have sure come to realize we rely on our family for childcare whenever we need them!   We are very grateful for that.

And, one last thing that I personally take for granted and miss dearly ... although can surely live without ... is a good Vietnemese meal!!

No comments:

Post a Comment