Monday, January 3, 2011

Resolutions



Article written for the Finelifestyle Regina's winter magazine..
New Years is the only holiday in which we celebrate the passing of time. Maybe that’s why we become introspective; reflect, examine and set potential self-betterments. Making resolutions dates back to 153 BC and continues to be a popular tradition today.   

Annually, we tend to use the first of a new month, within a new year to create a fresh start, altered habits and a new direction in our life paths. Recently I have reflected on what my yearly resolutions have been. To my surprise, or lack of, they really haven’t changed much. Not too sure if this is because I consistently gave up on these resolutions or if they simply remain important in my day to day life and have become a part of my wellbeing!

Albeit media realms promote and push “New Year’s resolutions” towards retail and material commodities, pondering and setting goals can and must be fun. If the goals are not personal and attainable they will be dismissed, set aside for another time or forgotten all together.

People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing ~ Dale Carnegie

As I get older, more mature and hopefully wiser my goals appear more quality based and not so much quantity. “My home needs to get better organized” versus “I want to organize my closet once a month” or “I want to become healthier” versus “I want to lose 8 lbs”. Living a healthier lifestyle is generally a lot more fun than stepping on the scale every Monday morning to discover I’ve gained 2 pounds rather than losing.

My resolutions also seem to incorporate living an overall better life rather than completing specific tasks within a certain timeframe. Although I have wanted to read John Irving’s “A Prayer for Owen Meany” for the last ten years, I am no longer setting myself up for failure. I want to better myself with reading a variety of materials but because I don’t get to a certain book doesn’t mean I am not reaching life success.

We hear so much about self-improvement in our personal and professional lives and relationships. Self-help books, CD’s, DVD’s, seminars and groups are becoming increasingly popular and goal setting within employment worlds are customary. Thinking about my own life and passion for “living my best life” I came up with five themes within resolution making.

I notice well that one stray step from the habitual path leads irresistibly into a new direction ~ Franz Grillparzer
                                     
Living and being healthier encompasses a wide array of areas; losing weight, exercising three times per week, eating clean, consuming less alcohol, smoking less or not at all, having annual physical, eye and dental check-ups would provide for an excellent bill of health. But, for many, these are great obstacles to face. Choose one to start with or improve. Walk, join a Boot Camp or yoga class, cut down on sugar or alcohol intake or simply take smaller portion more times a day.

Being more environmentally friendly is a responsibility that society as a whole is being pushed to adopt. Ways to help include: recycle paper, cardboards, glass or cans, carpool with someone, purchase organic and/or eco-friendly cleaning products, and invest in high efficiency appliances, light bulbs or vehicles. We owe it to ourselves, our children and our children’s children to sustain the most healthy and viable environments.

Getting organized will help de-clutter your home, emotions and overall life. It can also decrease stress and improve your day to day production. Getting rid of material items you don’t use or need has a way of increasing closet or shelving space but also lifting weight off your shoulders! When I struggle with the decision of throwing something in the garbage, giving it away or saving it I like to remind myself that “life’s important things aren’t always things”.
                
Building, maintaining and improving relationships is also multi-faceted. Our lives have become so busy, technology driven, materialistic and goal oriented. But both our city and province encourages and enables strong relationships with close proximities of schools, recreational centers and/or parks, numerous restaurants for families or quaint gathering spots for groups of friends. We as Saskatchewanians are friendly and open to modeling the “small town versus big city mentality”.

Make a point of going to a date with your spouse, friend and/or family but leave the blackberry, DSi Excel and IPOD touch in the car. Smile at, hug or wave to each person you recognize all week. Meet a new parent or grandparent on your son’s hockey team or in your children’s classroom.    

Improving wealth/finances also has a way of improving self esteem, self worth and freedom. Try to pay off or lower your debt, take advantage of interest rates and purchase a home, increase savings, purchase RRSP/RESP’s, invest in rental property or a piece of land. Comparative to other urban centers we have lower living costs and can take advantage of personal financial improvement.

Start by doing what’s necessary; then what’s possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible. ~ Saint Francis
                    
Whether you are a resolution maker on January 1st or a goal setter once a month, do one thing different to change and improve your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment