Saturday, December 11, 2010

the differences in vacationing and living here ~


I have been neglecting many things this week ~ my writing, my photography and my tan!  I am as lily white as I was the day we arrived (I know I don't have bronzey brown pigmentation but 5+ weeks in I thought I'd have some sort of faint tan lines).  But, I will tell you that LIVING is WAY different than VACATIONING here!  I remember a friend from here came and visited us at our resort a couple years ago and it was his first time to the beach in over a year!  I couldn't fathom that ... well let me tell you ... I completely get it now.

1.  When on vacation we either do NOTHING all day or jam pack it full of activities ... either way there really is no schedule or routine for two weeks.  Here, we are on a strict schedule with getting the kids up and ready for their early start at "escuela", Jay leaves for work at 645am, we leave the house at 7am and if  I have no errands to get done first thing, return at 825am. 

But, for the past 5 1/2 weeks I usually had something to pick up for school (ie, pink/rosa rose for a coordinator's birthday, an apple/manzana pie for a thanksgiving celebration, a birthday gift for a party I didn't know about, fuschia balls for the school's Christmas tree, a revolution outfit for Emersyn's celebration, a veracruz hat for Hunt's winter festival ... you get the picture).  Each time I take a note to get translated it usually means I  make a trip to Walmart, Mega or Chedraui!

I return home to my daily routine: try my best to communicate with Anna on what we'd like her to do in the house (she speaks absolutely no English and I recently discovered she cannot read).  I catch up on emails, phone calls, texts and my blog; I have had to meet with our land lady and maintenance men several times regarding things wrong in the house; and of course the daily task of translating things for the kids' homework and school life! I am also rekindling my relationship with my workout gear so will need to make time for that!  I leave the house again at 130pm to pick the kids up from school and continue on with ballet, gym, soccer and/or tutoring followed by dinner, homework and I am Hitler when it comes to getting the kids to bed by 730pm!  Bam ... the day is gone and I haven't hit the beach, had a nap, had a massage or read a book!

2.  When on vacation, I leave my driving hat at home and rely soley on taxis, Jay or tour buses.  Living here I drive a ton!!  But, I must say my driving fits in here quite nicely.  You don't need to stay in a lane, you turn whenever you want, you can drive fast (except over the topes/speed bumps which are huge and seem to be every 5 feet!), you can cut people off and you can honk for no reason.

3.  When on vacation we typically stay on the resort or make our way down to Playa's trendy but busy 5th Avenue.  Living here we make it a point to explore all areas of the city.  We live near the highway and the school is off the highway about 5 kms away.  However, instead of battling traffic and driving straight on the Carrtera, we go through town every morning.  I love seeing the locals in their element.  I love observing their neighbourhoods, their routines and means of living.  When on the resorts, we saw the workers in crisp and clean uniforms and could see how they worked their butts off to make a few dollars.  When off the resorts we see how they get to work, we see what they live in and we see them with their families and witness their incredibly gentle and honorable relationships with loved ones.

And, I must admit, I try to stay away from 5th Avuene!  It is too busy for me and I am tired of the little shops that sell the same touristy things.  We will go down and see a few of the unique shops or go for dinner at a nice restaurant but as far as walking just to walk I'd rather go elsewhere!  Although in saying that, now is the time to find a chair at a lounge and wait to see people we recognize or know from back home!

4.  When on vacation we usually tip each key worker at the end of our stay and depending on the relationship built we usually gave a nice tip.  Here we have learned that tipping and for paying for services have standards and its frowned upon to sway from these standards! 

For example, where we live people pay their maids 200 pesos for a day's work.  Now, our neighbour's works 6 days per week from 8-5 and Julianna provides her lunch but no transporation money.  Tony's works 3 days per week for 4 hours and he doesn't provide lunch or transportaion.  Marcy pays for a taxi ride home.  Now, when I was asking what I should pay I was told do not pay more than 200 pesos because the girls all talk and will ask their employers for more!  So, I compromised and ours works 3 days per week for 6 hours for 200 pesos and I make lunch and give treats here and there (ie, specialty baking, a pointsetta at this time of year etc.)  But, I was strongly advised not to "over tip"!

The other day after leaving Walmart with bags full of Christmas stocking stuffers, wrapping paper, bows, food and gifts I was finally feeling the spirit and was so excited to get home to wrap and decorate.  When I got to the van a man in his late 40's quickly offered to help me.  I thought why not, I had a lot of bags and he needed the "work".  Then his 8ish year old son was in there like a dirty shirt helping his dad.  My first thought was awe, this poor kid should be in school and they likely can't afford it ... my heart breaks!  I see how he is working with his dad doing such mindless and thankless work ... yep, heart breaks even more.  Then I notice all what they're putting in my van ... they will be lucky to have a decent Christmas dinner.  Again, heart breaks.  So I look in my wallet and I have shrapnell of coins, a 50 and a 200.  I give the boy 50 pesos, touch his arm and say "Feliz Navidad".  As I walk to the other side of the van I hear the boy exclaim "papa, cincuenta pesos papa!"  I felt good about helping them out and gave up my Starbucks trip for a venti nonfat chai tea latte. 

I later told our neighbour Tony my story and he said "fifty pesos~they are used to five~~".  He said locals have to be careful with this because the next white tourist/local they see they will come to expect that much and will snub them at a lower offering.  I see his point, but I still felt good that I helped their family out!

5.  When on vacation we forget about school, reading and homework for a couple weeks.  Living here we are consumed with it!  Wow, I will say that the schooling requires a lot more commitment that we had anticipated and this is drastically taking away from my tan!  Not only is it academically focused but it also provides many events and celebrations that require work for the families! 

As mentioned earlier, costume shopping and preparation, food shopping and/or preparation, kids have been invited to 4 birthdays since we've been here, we have had three posadas (Christmas parties organized by either staff or parents) this week and have two Winter Festivals next week (aka Christmas concerts)!  And not to mention the financial obligations ~ to give you an idea of what we pay in Canadian dollars ~ $57 for Hunter's festival costume plus we need to buy white dress shoes and a red bandana, $28 for Emy's festival costume, $33 for revolution costume earlier in November, 4 boxes of Christmas ornaments for school tree, 2 gifts for underpriviledged kids, $13 for apple pie (IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND HERE), $23 for Emy's posada and teacher's gifts, $110 per month for soccer, ballet and gymnastics, $650ish per month for "tuition" plus we had to pay ALOT for inscription (text books), $350 for uniforms, sweats, bunnyhugs, bathing suits and caps, gym bags ... and shoes (they have to wear black with formal uniforms and white with gym uniforms). 

Academically, Emy has homework once or twice per week and Hunt daily!  Grades 1-6 have formal exams/evaluations ~ last week was English Thursday and Friday for grammar, reading and spelling and this past week they had daily exams in Spanish.  They are taken very seriously with extra tutoring and reviewing.  Its frickin' crazy in my eyes!!  But, it has been said this is the best school to be at especially if you are foreigners.  So...we'll see!  But again...the translation I am doing on line is taking away from my bronzey glow!

6.  When on vacation we are excited to hear when someone is from Canada but we are fine with not recognizing or knowing people for the duration of our time away.  Jay in particular, being in retail daily, enjoys the time away from small talk!  Here, we are starting to recognize and know people where we go and its nice!  I was in Sam's club the other day and heard "Hi Lisa!" ... I was sure they were referring to someone else at first but then saw our friend Sylvia from Coco Cabanas!  I ran into someone I knew!!  We went to Siesta Fiesta last night to watch our friend Johnny Stevenson sing ... when we walked in he said "hey Lisa, Jay, Hunter and Emersyn from Regina Beach!" and now moms at the school are saying good morning and giving me the customary kiss on the cheek!  The security guards give us a wave, Anna greets us with "hola Senior y Seniora" and we have our favorite grocery packer at Mega that always gives us a box!  It's nice ... feels like home.

7.  When on vacation I tend to eat and drink all day long and not care about what it is, how many calories are involved or how much it costs ~ usually 'cause its at an all-inclusive resort and I don't have to make it.  Here I grocery shop, cook and don't sit by the ocean with a beach butler all day long!  Today my girlfriend Brandy asked if I was still on holiday mode and how many pina coladas I had drank!?  Funny how pina coladas taste so much better when they are brought to you and you don't have to dig out the blender! 

We find grocery prices vary greatly from place to place so I like to go to the little markets on side streets for fresh fruit and vegetables and get the staples from either Mega or Super Walmart.  We don't have a deep freeze here so shopping at Sam's or Costco must be creative!   

8.  When on vacation the kids usually get to paint a ceramic creature of some kind, get shark tooth necklaces or those stupid and ugly masks.  Living here I know how tacky and expensive the touristy gifts are and as such we stay clear away from the shops.  Not only cause they are a waste of money but because I get annoyed at the guys trying to lure us into the stores, I hate bardering and the prices are tripled on 5th Avenue compared to in town.  I no longer bring gifts home.  I don't shop at any of the touristy areas.  And, I would be happy never seeing another Playa del Carmen tshirt again!

9.  When on vacation we either eat at the resort or go to well known restaurants in Playa.  Living here we are able to ask those that have lived here for a while about different spots to eat.  We have Italian neighbours who have led us to delicious and authentic Italian, we met a Canadian couple who told us where to go for Sunday roast beef dinners, a local taco restaurant hidden on the highway to die for and have discovered where to order in Chinese.  Having so many different cultured neighbours will only enhance our eating experiences!

10.  And lastly, when on vacation time is so precious because of the limited days.  We know our weeks are counting down but we also know we still have the better part of 5 months ahead of us here.  If it rains one day its OK ~ makes staying inside paying bills online that much more easy.  When it rains while on holidays a sense of "jipped off" comes into play!  And for, if Jay wants to golf every Wednesday and Saturday its OK 'cause it doesn't seem like he's gone 4/14 mornings!

I know time will fly by here just like it does at home and our last days we will either be spent in disbelief our 6 months are up or in excitement that we are heading HOME, or I suspect a bit of both, so I am trying to take in as much as I can each and every day.  Whether I come out of this adventure with a tanlines or not I know that I will come out of it with knowledge, experience, courage, strength, wisdom, truth and patience ... and that's what living here vs vacationing here is all about.

5 comments:

  1. You sound really spoiled and snotty! Poor girl..you cant communicate with your maid...your husband has to work...you have to drive and take not take a cab. Wait... you give the lady who works in your home 18 hours a week a pointsetta...Wow (can you say hero!!!)

    God forbid you sit by the pool without a butler and make your own pina colata! Notice that nobody commented on this blog...it makes people puke! Ugh. Brutal. Sheer brutal.

    Really sad. I just ran across you blog. I am glad that I do not know you. Really glad actually! You are a spoiled righteous person. I feel sorry that you are teaching your children how to think and be this way. How dare they ask you take a pie to school. I made cupcakes for my son the other day to take to school and I most certainly didn't bitch to the world about having to take them. Hew..you must have it tough with the kids and driving them around.

    Enjoy the pina colata...you really would be better off vacationing permantely. You got it tough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...guess she told me!! Its obvious she doesn't know me and just as well! WOW! Its taking me alot to remain quiet right now but I will leave it alone. Those who know me know I am just trying to share our experiences, what my kids are learning and that I am not complaining about taking a pie to school just that it was very difficult to find and it was alot more expensive than back home....will just zip it now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa I personally love reading your blog. Not everyone has the guts to take a chance and immerse themselves in another culture and I know it is never easy (from experience). Bravo for exposing yourself to share. I know back home your friend and family need to read these to understand what your being exposed to. I also think others need to read this to understand it is okay to take chances - it is easy to just stay on a track but going off road is far more exciting.

    Obviously the "anonymous poster" is miserable in her own skin. It is very easy to judge and write word about someone you know nothing about - especially anonymous. She might look in the mirror as most often people project their own misery and likely is just jealous of your guts to take this adventure.

    Keep it real my friend - thank you for sharing your adventures and all the good bad and the ugly!

    Cheers to life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh yes, the bully that we, as mothers and fathers, so determinedly protect our children against. The kid that speaks words that cut like daggars and leave our children doubting themselves and crushing their self-esteem. The bully who thinks they have the right to be judgemental and it is ok to put others down in order to show that they are superior. As parents, we encourage our children to be unique, try different things and experiences that will build their character and make them well-rounded individuals. We encourage them to be understanding, gracious and kind. To be respectful and caring of others. So, how does one respond to an adult who feels it is ok to speak to another human as if they know them and their situation with words that are harsh and lack respect?

    Imagine somewhere a person who probably would fight to protect their own child against the school yard/cyber bully and yet have no problem sitting down at a computer reading random blogs and being so angry with a post that they feel it is ok to respond with words that are cruel, disrespectful, and horribly mean...what have we become.

    I ask this anonymous blogger if their child received a post to their blog filled with words of anger and hate...how would they respond? And now, I ask this anonymous blogger how they think it is ok to speak this way to another adult?

    I think that anonymous blogger missed the point of this blog. It was not about Lisa D. looking for someone to pat her on the back and say wow what a great job you are doing...it is about understanding a culture that perhaps they never fully appreciated. It is about appreciating people for their tireless hard work and, on occassion, expressing that appreciateion with a small gift...such as a pointsetta because in this case words can't expressed the gratitude that is felt. It is about leaving all that you are comfortable with and immersing your family in a culture that will educate their children more than any textbook ever could.

    I happen to personally know Lisa D. and admire her and her family for stepping out of their comfort zone to make memories of a lifetime.

    To anonymous blogger... next time you feel the need to express your opinions about someone you may or may not know... consider if your words are going to make this world a better place and if not, perhaps it's not worth saying at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Lisa,
    Just a quick hello from your relative in Toronto who has lived in Central Mexico for a number of months. Enjoy learning Spanish -- it's a beautiful language.
    Mark Goodes

    ReplyDelete