Saturday, December 4, 2010

what makes it easier?

Last night Jay asked me if I was homesick at all.  Without a moment's hesitation I responded "nope" ~ and I truly meant it.  Yeah, there are people I miss for sure!  There are activities I miss being involved in and there are certain things you can't get here that I miss ... but as far as wanting to give up our adventure and return home ... no way!  At least not yet!

As I sat in our quiet house all alone this morning, I asked myself  ~ "why aren't I homesick?  what makes it easier to stay and continue onto our second month?" (We have been here for one month excactly, by the way!  The longest we'd been away from home prior to this was seventeen days!) 

Some might think the obvious answer is "I am in the Caribbean experiencing some of the world's most beautiful beaches sitting in the hot sunshine while people back home are shovelling their ways out and wearing winter downfilled jackets!!"  But for those of us who have suffered from "homesickitis", it doesn't matter where you are.  If you miss home that much you don't care about the white beaches and turquoise waters or the shopping mecas, historical sites and cultural avenues.  You just want to be at home.  So, to answer my question back to myself (and to you) I came up with these reasons.

1.  I am here with my family and we are together A LOT!  With Jay not working on a regular basis yet, the kids not finding a bunch of friends outside of school yet and no sports scheduled on weekends yet, we have a significant amount of family time.  The kids play with each other more.  Jay and I have more alone time while the kids are at school and we have established "family routines" that seemingly have stuck!    Its funny how a lack of a social circle, hectic work schedules, meetings, games and tournaments can make a family stick together!  Now, in saying that, this family closeness can also cause some annoyance, tension and quite frankly can cause grey hair!!  But, we are learning creativity, acceptance and patience along the way.



2.  I see how Jay's body seizes up at home.  I see how he drags his bad ankle and painfully limps for a good 10 minutes every morning.  I see how he can't make a fist or tie his shoes at home.  There I hear him say he's in the most pain he's been in over the last 20 years.   I don't see or hear any of that here.  Jay has either walked or road his bike every morning this week.  In Saskatchewan's cold temperatures that is not an option for him.  His arthritis, knock on wood, appears to go into remission here.  I would give up licorice, seeds and hockey tournaments for this anyday!



3.  Mexicans are so friendly, open and giving.  They are extremely hard working people and are so very humble.  It has been said by many that Mexicans and Canadians are quite similar in their generosity, sense of kindness and in their friendly nature.  Although most Canadians have significantly more to give materialistically, the Mexicans give back with consistent smiles, good mornings, meaningful thank yous and their standard hug/kiss on the cheek.  And my God, they do this all while their city is crowded with white tourists, all speaking English, demanding services and trying to pay in foreign currencies!  

I once asked a local what he thought of all the foreigners taking over, opening up KFC's, Burger Kings and Starbucks and buying all sorts of land for residential and commercial development.  Surprising to me his response was nothing but positive.  He said without this tourism and development the Mexican people would not have employment and livlihood.  He said most people, foreign or not, are not from this area and have soley moved here to work.  He mentioned that although its sad to see some chain restaurants opening instead of traditional Mexican and hotels occupying the beautiful baren lands, its all part of his third world country moving on.

I listened to this amigo for about 10 minutes in his broken English and with emotional expression.  He was trying his best to get his story across so I could understand it.  He did not attend a private school that taught English.  He learned it on his own as best as he could because he had to.  Here if you speak English your wage is significantly higher than if you don't.  When I learned this, I made a vow to myself to learn as much Spanish as I possibly could.  Who am I, living in their beautiful country on a half year basis, trying to buy coffee and gum at the OXXO and getting frustrated at the cashier cause I don't understand what he's saying as he points to his computer.  Who am I telling the teachers I don't understand the homework written in Hunter's agenda or the several notes sent home for us to read.  After speaking to this amigo, I began the process of translating on the computer all of the kids homework and notes and doing my best to speak their language.



4.  We are so easily able to keep in contact with the store, friends and family and our new friends here with texting, cell phones, our vanage phone,  facebook and email.  In the last 24 hours I have had some sort of contact with Corrie, Treena, Des, Heather, Jordan, Daphne, Terri, Sheila, Shannon, Coralee and Brandy to name a few.  All because of this thing called technology! 



5.  The community in which we live has such warm and welcoming neighbours who have helped us so much in so many ways.  I am not saying non-English speaking people wouldn't make as nice of neighbours than those that speak it.  But for our first time staying a long duration English directions, advice and suggestions have made it that much more easy for us.  We still like to wing it for lots of things ~ makes it more exciting I think!! ~ but for things like car insurance, how much to pay for certain things, how to properly attain a Mexican driving license and where to go for kids school pictures ... its nice to know exactly what we're being told!



I will finish by saying we do miss our parents, our siblings, nephew and two nieces, our grandparents, our adored friends and our kids friends.  I miss the hockey rink and London Fogs, our skidoos for all the snow, enjoying a coffee while Emersyn does her dance and gymnastics.  But, I know all of these will be at home when we return.  I know we will see many of these friends and family down here and if not, in January when we return for 10 days.  I know these people are a text or phone call away (given the phone lines are up and running!) and I know that we are in this adventure for the long haul and we will give it our all.

The last month hasn't ALL been easy but the above 5 are reasons that have made it "easier"!!  

2 comments:

  1. A very wise friend of mine said "Bloom where you are planted"

    After all our moves it is funny each time our eyes are open to more. Our family is closer, we have made amazing friends all along the way and technology is the BEST.

    BTW I love the Green.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you wrote about family first. Family is first. Of course everyone always says so, but your post tells us how you're doing it there. You're "walking the walk." Kudos to you guys!

    Have a great weekend!

    P.S. I luv the green too!

    ReplyDelete