Thursday, December 2, 2010

What is different today?

Today's 10 am is A LOT different than that of 3 or 4 weeks ago.  I feel a sense of relaxation sitting on our deck with my to-go-mug of coffee.  Taylor Swift is playing on the docking station, Anna is folding the laundry, my mother in law has returned home, Jay is at El Dorado Royale then Cancun looking for a vehicle and the kids are at school.  Paris is laying by my feet and not barking at every maintenance guy walking by.  My computer is working, so far the phone lines are strong and until 2 o'clock I have no on-line translating to do, no school books to search for or unpacking to finish.

I no longer have a tension headache.  There is no yelling, begging or pleading early in the mornings.   I no longer cry in the school parking lot.  I know my way around Playa (for the most part).  I am somehow able to communicate with most people.  I have met a few friends.  Our kids walk into the school on their own.  I have a grocery store that I like, a deli that I have found, a discovered delicious Italian pastry shop (could be good or bad!??!), a few Starbucks that I like to sit in and have my own Sam's Club membership card.

We no longer order in or go out for dinner on a nightly basis!  We have a full fridge, freezer and pantry.  Our security guys know us and wave every time we go through the gates.  We own a vehicle and have found the proper insurance.  We have two working TV's both with Canadian Star Choice satellite.  Our gas stove works and our showers are warm.  Our kids are saying Spanish words and phrases, are singing Spanish Christmas songs and dancing Mexican dances and understand their teachers and friends (and if they don't they are figuring out ways to fit in!).

We have a routine and I now know it inside and out!

1.  Wake kids at 6am (if they haven't already done so); get everyone showered and dressed ~ both kids are in formal blues Monday, Tuesday Hunter is in white, Emersyn is white Wednesday and Thursday and Hunter is white Friday - otherwise they are in blues ~ they eat breakfast, watch iCarly and either Jay or I make lunches.

2.  We leave the house right at 7am; we arrive at the school by 7:20am, Hunter gives us hug and kiss and he is off to start his day's adventure with his roll bag full of texts and homework books; we wait with Emy until 8am when she is greeted by her English teacher Miss Cristy and she is off with her roll bag holding either ballet or gymnastics clothes and homework books.

3.  Jay, I or both start our day with groceries, errands, Jay working, me writing for Fine Lifestyles Regina or my blog, tidying, translating or whatever else the day may hold.  On Monday we went for lunch together and bought a tree, Tuesday we went for a long walk and a coffee, yesterday I worked on the computer all day while Jay searched for a vehicle, today ... well not sure what the rest of the day will consist of quite yet! 

4.  Every day but Friday we return to the school at 220pm (Emy has ballet Monday and Wednesday and gymnastics Tuesday and Thursday until then and Hunter is finished class then); Monday and Thursday we return home for a quick swim and snack and return to the school for soccer from 4-530pm; Tuesday and Wednesday we stay at the school until 345pm while Hunter has Spanish and math tutoring with his Spanish teacher Miss Rocio.

5.  We eat dinner, clean up, kids either watch a little TV or we do something as a family.  630 or 7pm homework is pulled out and once that is finished its usually close to bed time!!  It's pitch black by 530pm so with an early start, a full day and a dark ending going to sleep early usually isn't an issue!

6.  Fridays Emy is done at 110  and Hunt 210pm and if the weather cooperates this week we are planning a beach afternoon.

7.  Jay usually golfs early Saturday mornings with his regular group he's been playing with for the last few years we've been coming here. 

8.  Sundays have become family beach/BBQ days.

I know that things are significantly more expensive downtown and on 5th Avenue.  I know that locals get better pricing at many places.  I know that money exchange rates vary from block to block.  I know that buying fruits and vegetables and meat is cheaper at small markets rather than grocery stores.  I know that newspapers from guys on the hiway is 5 pesos.  I know that I shouldn't pay more than 10 pesos per hour for parking (found that out the hard way!).  I know that we can ride our bikes and leave in a parking lot for the same rate as a vehicle.  I know that power is VERY costly here (especially in Playacar).  I know you can pay a Sky TV guy on the street (similar to our Access cable guy back home) to come help you hook up satellites or TV's. 

The learning curve seemed endless 3 or 4 weeks ago.  Living in a foreign and "developing" country its obviously still there.  But wow, it is so much more attainable!!

No comments:

Post a Comment