Monday, December 6, 2010

private vs public

Well after being in Mexico many many times we have experienced the Mexican health care system for the first time.  I fought what I assumed was a bad flu for a couple days and when it continued to get progressively worse I knew I needed to seek some type of medical attention ... but where and how?

Jay called  his Canadian friend who has lived here for several years.  Nick asked if we had insurance and, after learning we did, he recommended the Hospiten hospital 2 minutes from our house.  I had seen the sign several times when driving to the mall  but didn't think we'd ever have to use its services. 
 
I was extremely weak so Jay walked me to a chair just past the registration desk and there I waited with the kids.  The lobby was beautiful, very clean, smelled fresh and there were gorgeous Christmas trees, ornaments and pointsettas everywhere.  I could hear Jay's conversation with the very professional English speaking clerk and her first question of "do you have insurance?"  Oh oh.  What if we didn't have enough?  What if it didn't work?  What if we got the wrong kind?  What if we had to leave? ... I needed a doctor now!  Jay was instructed to call our insurance company to answer some questions and in the meantime I was taken to the emergency. 

I was in a bed, had my blood pressure and temperature taken all within 5 minutes.  An English speaking doctor came in, asked several questions, felt my stomach, looked in my mouth and gave me her diagnosis all with an additional 15 minutes.  She told me I was extremely dehydrated and she suspected a bowel/abdominal infection (which is quite a common virus here she informed).   As such, I was hooked up to an IV and had blood taken again within minutes. 

Jay returned and said until the insurance company faxed our documents he had to give a deposit of 10,000 pesos.  Holy crap, been there only 40 minutes and we paid about $900.00 Canadian!  I had better get better quick!  The doctor returned to see how I was doing and indicated I'd be hooked up to IV for atleast another couple hours and if the results came back concurrent to her suspicions I'd be admitted for the better part of the day.  Jay asked how long the results would take and he was informed 20 minutes.  Wow, been there for an hour and had temperature, blood pressure, IV administered, blood taken, a suggested cause of ailments AND results back?!

Jay left with the kids, I got comfortable in the clean and soft emergency room bed, was asked if the room temperature was ok and listened to an American get stitches after cutting his hand at his resort (overheard his insurance did not cover it and that he had to pay 900 pesos).  I was awakened by the gentle physician who confirmed I was severely dehydrated and had a bowel infection and later by a nurse who wanted to take me upstairs to my room.  I was in a hotel-like hospital room by 1:00 pm that afternoon.

The service was excellent; very professional, consistent and thorough.  Although three quarters of the nursing staff couldn't say much more than hello Lisa we managed to effectively communicate both of our needs.  The bed was so very comfortable in that it was not a thin plastic mattress, had a sheet, cotton blanket and top sheet over that.  There were huge windows in the room, an armoire with TV, queen size pullout sofa and a large bathroom with a shower.  I kept the room dark for the first day and night and didn't make use of the TV or telephone but would have been a nice touch if my stay had been longer. 

I was examined by Mexican and German internal medicine physicians and was informed I'd be in until at least noon the following day.  The nursing staff checked on me and my vitals every couple hours (although during the night why does it seem so much more often?).  I was brought cold bottled water, fresh fruit, pineapple jello and some spicy chicken that I wanted no part of for lunch!  And just as I was falling asleep for the night a similar dinner was brought (although chicken was substituted for some type of sandwich). 

The next morning Jay found a bag full of shampoos, body lotions, a comb, toothbrush and paste waiting for me in my bathroom.  And...the scents were very nice!  And, not once did I hear an intercom, another patient (although I thought I heard snoring during the night but could have been my pain meds taking over), a rude or loud nurse.  I was asked constantly if I was ok, if the pain was ok, was I too cold or did I need more water.  Two physicians examined me by 1130am and I was discharged at 130pm today.

Despite unfortunate and very painful circumstances with experiencing the Hospiten Hospital in Playa del Carmen, I would HIGHLY suggest you make sure you have proper insurance when you leave for any type of vacation.  The medical care I received over the last 30 hours was impecable.  Yeah, we ended up at the best hospital in the area, and yeah we were covered (thank goodness cause the end result was $790 US or 9000 and some pesos WITH our local discount ... for a regular traveller the stay would have cost $11,000+ pesos) but if you can be insured why not experience that type of care versus any other?  And, if you have the proper health insurance, I would also HIGHLY recommend utlizing Hospiten's services if ever needed in the Playa, Mayan Riviera and/or Tulum areas. 

It's sad and so unfair that all people suffering from illness can't experience this type of healthcare.  But, I guess this is what private health care is all about?!



   

2 comments:

  1. Public vs. private health care is always a hot topic and many people, myself included, hold their viewpoints very close to their heart.

    I'm sorry to hear your were ill and had to be hospitalized. I bet you didn't know what to expect! I'm glad to hear you're better & I hope no one else in your household gets the same bug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you order your next order - Florify and Sustain is a must :-) Glad you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete