Tuesday, November 23, 2010

did he fall off the balcony?

6:05am ~ mom, can you get my shower going. I'm in white today right?

Wow, what a difference from a mere 9 mornings ago. For the past two days Hunter has eagerly gotten himself ready for school, attended practice and tutoring and actually initiated doing his homework after dinner.

There has been no yelling, no refusal and no tears. AND he and his sister are playing and getting along (well, for the most part ... I'm not suggesting a complete miracle has happened just some good to great mornings and evenings!)

His schoolmates seem to adore Hunter. His English teacher says he is a dream to have in class cause the kids WANT to speak English to him! He was moved up to an older aged soccer group and in broken English a 3rd grade kid came up to me after practice and said "Hunther, he is good". This morning while walking to class Hunter wondered aloud where his new grade 3 friend was.

Before dinner Hunt and Emy were riding their bikes around the complex. I noticed the 10 year old girl from Calgary was outside playing with a friend. I started the BBQ and was getting things ready when Emy came in and informed that Hunter had put his bike down and had gone into the pool without "perminission"!!

My initial instinct was to get angry and tell him to come in and get dry clothes on and what was he doing when we were eating in 3 minutes! But then I could hear the girls in the pool as well. They were talking about where they were from and Hunter was having fun playing catch with them.

My second (and motherly) instinct knew he felt comfortable and really, what was the big deal if our burgers got cold.

After dinner Jay called to talk to the kids. Hunter was polite, excited and asked about his new roll bag for school. When the phone was handed to me Jay's first words were "did he fall off the balcony"??

At this point in time, after seeing my son cry, express anger and fear and wonder and resentment ... I don't really care what happened! All I know is that yesterday and today I had my old happy son back. I am a realist and know that there will be more speed bumps to come ... but hey, I'm prepared to take one bump at a time.


Hunter and his buddy Janni after accepting their first place relay medallians!!

No comments:

Post a Comment