Monday, November 22, 2010

What I Learned Today

November 20th is Mexico's celebration of their historical revolution against a "corrupt" president. The poor and working class had enough and revoluted against him and his government. At least this is how I interpretted the festival I attended today at Emersyn's school.

A note was sent home last week outlining what she was to wear. It was in Spanish so I had a teacher translate it for me. So, off we went shopping to find the appropriate costume for the Kinder 11 presentation. I handed the note to an older Mexican lady just as she was closing down her shop. She smiled at Em and dug through a bag for a beautiful red, white and green 2 piece outfit with embroidered flowers and lace sewn over the skirt and blouse. She was so proud when she later modelled it for us.

So, this morning we wake up and Emy's sun burn is still flaring and the blouse's stitches and elastic hurts her shoulders! So, when we arrive at the school I show a teacher her burn and ask if she is allowed to wear a shirt under the blouse. We braid her hair, put on her Mexican outfit and wait to see what the others show up in. Silently I am fearing that I have bought the wrong thing. I misinterpretted the Spanish note (just like I read that Hunter's olympics were today and should be wearing his white uniform but really its happening on Thur and his class is all in their blues!) and we are not only the only non Spanish speaking family in the entire school but we are wearing the wrong clothes!

It turns out we were led in the proper directions and Emersyn is a beautiful mexican revolution girl! I leave her in the classroom and I await the production with other parents in the palapa. Soon there are about 50 parents, all of whom I assume speak only Spanish, and I sit alone. I look around and recognize one mom. No one talks to me ... everyone quietly smiles and says buenos dias and I respond back. I remind myself that if I were at South Shore right now I'd know the entire parent presence and would be talking and listening and laughing with lots of friends and aquaintenances. But, surprisingly I am OK. I actually enjoy the alone time and the confidence I feel being in a new environment, learning a new tradition and taking in all the excitement for what is about to happen. I may not have the commorodry that others have established here but I know I will. I am more worried that my kids don't have a best friend or the same feeling of belonging that they have at home. They don't seem to be worried but their mom does!

The kids arrive and I see my daughter. She has her fingers in her mouth ... I know she is nervous. And, GOD I don't blame her! She follows her classmates and teacher and takes direction in Spanish. They sing and recite what I assume is the national anthem and some sort of pledge and then sing the colegio ingles school song. She is silent. But she is standing as she should, with her new friends, and is going to try something new. They gather on the stage and when her song starts she sings. She is watching her neighbour and is following the dance moves. I am so proud! She likely doesn't know what she is singing and what the words mean, but she is singing and dancing like she has been at this celebration 3 times before.

I learned today not only about an important and symbolic date in Mexican culture but that my kids are adjusting. There still may be fear, tears and question but they are slowly but surely adjusting. Kids truly are strong and resilient little people.

As I was walking out of the school, after leaving Emersyn crying in her classroom, a blonde lady asked if I was Emy's mom. She spoke English!!! I quickly said "yes, and you speak ENGLISH!!". She introduces herself and tells me her daughter Lily is in Emy's class and has talked about her for 2 weeks! The mom gives me her card and says she is going to invite her to make Christmas cookies with some of the other girls in the class. Whew, a sense of joy came over me.

I texted a friend while driving home. She asked if it was wierd being here while Jay was at home in Saskatchewan. I answered not really, just wierd not knowing many people. I told her about the blonde lady I had met and she responded "wowzers, you are going to meet so many people there!". And you know what ... she is right! That is all a part of this wonderful adventure!


No comments:

Post a Comment