Tuesday, November 30, 2010

questions I have...

Tonight embarks our 28th sleep in Playa del Carmen!  4 weeks, a few days shy of a month and 1/6 of our adventure in, I have a few questions that I am bound and determined to find the answers to.

1.  How do the Mexicans keep their whites so white?
2.  Do the taxi drivers REALLY have driving licenses?
3.  Is sleeping in a hammock night after night good for your back?
4.  How much will our first electricity bill be?  (Our Canadian neighbours learned the hard way their first 2 months here, they ran the AC alot and their bill was $16,000 pesos (close to $750 per month) YIKES)
5.  How long will it take my kids to be fluent in Spanish and how much will they lose being back in Canada?
6.  Does Paris' coat really keep her cool in the heat and warm in the cold?
7.  Will I be ready to return home in April or will I want to stay longer?
8.  How long will the red licorice, Gordos Greek sauce, Kraft Dinner and chocolate chip granola bars brought from home last?
9.  Who will come and visit?  Who will continue to keep in touch via email, text and phone? 
10.  Will I find a good esthetician to do waxing and pedicures and a hair stylist to do cuts and colors?
11.  When will I feel chilly/cool?
12.  When will I see a snake ... have seen many geckos and iguanas, just saw a cockroach and several neat birds but I know the inevitable is going to happen - when and where? (I am sure when it does you will hear me loud and clear!)
13.  Will I get too accustomed to our 2xs per week cleaning lady folding our underwear, organizing our shoes and cutlery drawer and washing our floors and wonder who will do it back home?
14.  Will I lose my breath when we hit Regina soil and its frigid temps on January 12?
15.  Why do the phone lines go down for days on end when it rains excessively?
16.  When will Mexico devise and utilize an effective recycling program?
17.  How do families live on 200 pesos per day?
18.  What is the average age that locals cease education?
19.  How many of the vehicles stopped at the check points have illegal goods and/or corrupt individuals driving them?
20.  What is the leading cause of death in the Playa area?




If you know any of the anwers to the above questions I'd love to hear about them.  In the meantime I will continue to ask, learn and observe and vow to tell you what I find towards the end of our sabbatical!

What are you curious about?

1 comment:

  1. RE #16: Remember Mexico is a developing country, not a developed country. Most people probably don't even know about recycling as we know it here in Canada. For many of them "rethinking" or "reusing" an item is a financial necessity as opposed to a social responsibility.

    Imagine the logistics associated with an effective recycling program in all of Mexico - widespread poverty, a population of over 100 million, and an economy largely based on tourism, just to name a few. What about industry and infrastructure???

    Remember recycling is not a cheap endeavour. Costs will go up, resorts will have to raise their prices, tourists will go someplace less expensive, and now you have a weakened economy and attempts at becoming more developed have become hindered.

    When Sid and I went to Cancun a few years ago, he noted that it was not Mexico. Sure, it's in Mexico but it was not the same Mexico where he lived and worked for months on end. I imagine the same might hold true for where you are.

    One last thing to think about on the issue of recycling is how environmentally friendly is it really? Think of the fuel the trucks burn driving out from the city, all around town, and back to the city again. They do that every day. What about the energy required at the processing facility? Sid always talks about this and it really hit home a couple years ago. I pulled up to parcel pick-up at Safeway and the attendant brought out my cart. Next thing I know she was chuckling and I asked her what was so funny. She thought it was hilarious that I brought reusable bags for my groceries yet I drive an Avalanche...she had a point.

    The real problem is the "must have" and convience based lifestyle we've become accustomed to in North America.

    Sorry, I don't think there is a definitive answer to your question. Is there any sort of recycling program nearby? If so, start small and set an example for those around you.

    Wow, I might just read up more on this issue. Tonight though I'll hit my book on Andre Agassi instead.

    ReplyDelete