Thursday, November 18, 2010

Why do we focus on what we don’t have and not on what we have?? I am getting better at this but will admit I have found myself “needing” a new pair of designer shoes, “needing” a different shade of brown lipstick and “needing” another dress for my 5 year old.

Watching the Mayan people so happy day in and day out not only humbles me but gives me a sense of hope. We took the scenic route to school today … went downtown and drove through residential areas that tourists likely don’t see on their vacations. There were many stray dogs laying in the middle of the streets, hammocks housing sleeping individuals in roofless houses, lines full of laundry attempting to dry in the pouring rain. There were many people waiting for buses, walking their children to school, sweeping the garbage from their sidewalks … they have next to no personal possessions but they all appear happy, at ease and grateful.

Maids in Playacar work for $200 pesos a day. That is equivalent to about $2 Canadian per hour. Hunter’s teacher tutors for $100 pesos per hour. Gas attendants get paid solely on tips. Masseuses on the beach get $15 out of the $50 for each massage. And they keep a smile. They love their families, they are proud of their homes and aren’t afraid to bike, walk or take a taxi to work.

I hope this experience is enlightening for my children. Today Hunter told Emy that most people here don’t have cars because they wouldn’t be able to pay for electricity or food if they did. However, in his next sentence he commented on how rich maids were for making $200 pesos a day! He was also astonished that most local boys did not know what a DSi was.

In keeping with my theme…this adventure is a learning process. And, I think this is one of the most crucial lessons to learn ~ and learn well.

I like to remind myself that the greatest things in life aren’t things.

No comments:

Post a Comment