Friday, November 26, 2010

things I know for sure...

Here is a list of 20 things I know for sure:

1. Geckos are like maple bugs, you just get used to the odd one or two being in your house.

2. I drive ALOT here ... leave at 7am for school, either wait with Em or go get groceries to return at 8 for her start. Pick up both at 215pm Mon throught Thur, return home on Mon and Thur for snack, quick swim and then return to school area for soccer and on Fri pick Emy up at 115, Hunter at 215 and today for example return at 430 for a school fiesta!

3. I miss my People magazine subscription and the weekly People Puzzlers!!

4. Big Macs are so much more tasty and fresh in Mexico than anywhere else I've had them!

5. When it rains alot the phone lines are down for days.

6. Skinny, scronny, sickly, twiggy palm trees banging against your roof can keep you up for hours.

7. There really isn't an effective recycling program in Mexico (makes me ill throwing out all this paper and all these cans!)

8. This week I have paid $1500 pesos (approximately $140 Canadian)for kids' revolution costumes, Christmas concert costumes, food for Thanksgiving celebrations, a birthday gift, tutoring and that doesn't include the ballet, soccer, gymnastics, school text books, uniforms and tuition! I knew I shouldn't have gotten the notes translated!

9. It's pitch black by 530pm but the day is ready to begin at 5am.

10. Playa del Carmen has a population of approximately 400,000 ... and in 1997 the town had one traffic light.

11. You can't find licorice, Spitz or Kraft Dinner here.

12. The kids have attended 21 days of school and are now walking in to the grounds by themselves, we made it one week in a foreign country without Jay and have met almost all the neighbours (most Canadian, American or speak English!!).

13. Texting, email and facebook make it possible to keep in contact and feel connected to my friends and family back home. So glad we decided to come now versus 5 years ago.

14. My computer doesn't have the proper Spanish accents for certain letters. I translate all notes and homework online ... this makes it sound like I need to bring potatoes to school rather than a deposit for Hunter's costume!

15. There are the most beautiful real Christmas trees here and are very cheap compared to back home!

16. Mexicans are extremely celebratory people and very patriotic.

17. We can't wait for our dear friends Krzysik's to experience and share Christmas and New Years with us. Our kids are so excited to take the kids to school with them December 23!

18. I have seen one Mexican child playing a DS but several playing hide and seek, marbles and traditional hopscotch.

19. Despite being 30.5 degrees locals find it chilly and do not use the pool, wear long sleeves in the morning and don't use the air!

20. I miss my friends, family, beach life and the rink but I am so happy to be here learning, experiencing, sharing and growing.

Have a great Friday. What do YOU know for sure?

No comments:

Post a Comment